Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Columbines

I wish I would have planted more than 1 of these this year. If I find some more I will be planting them all over my yard!

They have a kind of interesting 'history'.

Here is what I found:

Columbine is one of the most beautiful wildflowers. The plants are found growing in thin soil in limestone outcroppings, sometimes from a crack in the rocks. Columbine is the symbol of foolishness, based on the flower's resemblance to a jester's cap and bells. It was considered bad luck to give this flower to a woman. Fallen spurs of the columbine looked like the Virgin Mary's Shoes and received that name. They were said to have sprung up where Mary's feet touched the earth when she was on her way to visit Elizabeth. The spurred flowers resembled the tiny doves and came to represent the Holy Spirit. The flower also symbolized the innocence of Mary. The petals of the Columbine symbolize the seven gifts of the Spirit. The wild columbine has only five petals. 

 These would be awesome to plant in the dry river bed. They would look GORG!

No comments:

Post a Comment